@gravyhand avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
P200E

Enthusiast
@gravyhand avatar
P200E
UTC quote
I'm on the verge of going out and buying a new Vespa S 150 while I get my old P200 up and running again.

Any owners have thoughts on the model? Major complaints?

I use my P200 as my sole means of transportation and find it's not so reliable but is pretty well suited for the kinds of errands and commuting I do.

Is it easy to mount a basket on the racks available for the S 150? Can you mount a helmet hook under the saddle to hang stuff between your legs like a briefcase?

Cheers!
@bumpstart avatar
UTC

Vespa GTV 250, Kymco People 150, 1967 Simson Schwalbe

@bumpstart avatar
Vespa GTV 250, Kymco People 150, 1967 Simson Schwalbe
UTC quote
Gravyhand,

Check out this Vespa S review by Dave McCabe:

http://2strokebuzz.com/2008/09/the-vespa-s-150-a-review

Karen G.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
The rear racks for an S are the same as what's availible for the LX. Except for the few meant specifically to carry a topcase only, they're all your standard tubular chrome racks (most fold, a few aftermarket ones don't). Should be easy to mount just about anything that can fit on that kind of rack.

Not sure if the LX/S comes with a helmet hook under the seat or not. The S does come with the GT/GTS/GTV bag hook on the backside of the legshield, to partially make up for the lack of a real glovebox. I've seen many solutions here on MV for locking up a helmet.
@hotboxdeluxe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 S50, '79 V50

Ossessionato
@hotboxdeluxe avatar
'09 S50, '79 V50
UTC quote
There is a little hook under the seat 8)
@redorgreen avatar
UTC

Hooked
'08 S150

Hooked
@redorgreen avatar
'08 S150
UTC quote
The S150 has a folding hook on the back of the shield for carrying parcels, and a small metal hook under the seat in front for securely attaching a helmet. I put a leather seat from an LXV 150 on mine, and that also has a parcel hook on the front. So I use both hooks for carrying things back and forth to work nearly every day (laptop, book bag, etc.).

This is my first scooter, so I have no point of comparison with other models. I like mine a lot. I only use a car for commuting now if I have to carry something really large, or if rain is likely.
@kcphelan avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa S150

Hooked
@kcphelan avatar
Vespa S150
UTC quote
+1 RedOrGreen

I'm in the same boat. I bought the S150 a little over a year ago and I had one tiny moment where I thought "I think I want a more powerful engine" and then I realized that it was me holding my riding back, not the bike. A whole lot more practice and I realize that my S150 is the best bike for me.

It's zippy. It's a great size for me. I added a top case and it holds my "mary poppins" purse. I can go put all of my bags on the bag hook and some under the seat and take a great shopping trip home.

I also added the flyscreen to decrease some resistance.

I'm also partial because I think they returned to the old silhouette of the Primavera with this one and I absolutely love this style.
@chub512 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Vespa Sprint 150 Sport

Hooked
@chub512 avatar
2019 Vespa Sprint 150 Sport
UTC quote
Loved my S150! I used it as my primary means of transportation. It's perfect for around town. I traded it in on a GTS because my mom lives out in Wimberley and I wanted something a little faster for the back roads when I go out and visit her. The vespa dealer has my S150 for sale as we speak. Black with topcase. It's torture seeing it sitting there not being ridden!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
You really can't go wrong with one of the modern Piaggio 150 engines.
@redorgreen avatar
UTC

Hooked
'08 S150

Hooked
@redorgreen avatar
'08 S150
UTC quote
I also have the tall screen for mine. I use it in the winter to stay warm, but I have it off now for our hot summers.

I thought about a 250 when I bought the S, but decided I really didn't need a highway cruiser. I suspect a 250 gets the same or better mileage than a 150, due to being fuel injected and water cooled. But the 150 is simpler, and thus probably cheaper to maintain over time. I can adjust a carburetor myself, but I don't even have tools to handle injection.

So then it comes down to the LX series versus the S. I'm not sure the S is any different mechanically from an LX at all, despite what the review says. Other than the styling changes, and the S's lack of a glove box and key isolator, there isn't much difference between them.

One thing to consider is the seat. The one that comes with the S looks great (in my opinion), but is not optimal for 2 people. My wife demanded something better, thus the LXV leather seat we have now.
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
one problem and it is a big one, on the dash there is some chrome around the spedo and gas gauge. when the sun is at the high part of the day it becomes blinding and you will have to squint to see. if you where sun glasses it is still annoying but tolerable. all and all i love my s150 and i would not want any other one.
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
also it will go 60mph easy. and adding an sport exhaust makes the mid range accl a little faster.
@zippy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Dragon Red LX 150 (Hillary)

Hooked
@zippy avatar
Dragon Red LX 150 (Hillary)
UTC quote
LX = Class

S = Sport

That says it all

Paul
@scootaboy avatar
UTC

Hooked
'84 PX150e

Hooked
@scootaboy avatar
'84 PX150e
UTC quote
You may want to check my thoughts on the "S" compared to the "LX" after a couple of months of riding, here:

http://www.nycscootering.com/2009/06/08/scooter-newbie-vespa-s-vs-lx/
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0704s ][ Queries: 16 (0.0437s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]