@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400

Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
UTC quote
The gear I keep tucked into the pet carrier (tools and supplies, med kit, rain gear) is always sliding into the main saddle storage area, so I made a bulkhead. The top of the bulkhead rests against structure behind the saddle latch. The bottom edge rests against a rise in the bottom of the plastic pan. It's held in place by a 1/4"-20 clamping knob, screwed into a Rivnut in the pan rise. It's a happy coincidence that the upper and lower surfaces line up as they do, making the bulkhead just about vertical.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The scrap plexi I used is scratched, but good enough to let through what light there is from the dome lamp.

The plastic cable clamp in the foreground is part of a cable release I rigged to the pet carrier door after disabling the stock electric release.

Edit: Template here. You'll need to print the PDF, then resize it on a copier with bigger paper (e.g. tabloid) to get the scale correct That's what the 0"-10" scale on the top is for.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

On a recent trip in a rental car, the glare on my Garmin Nuvi was brutal, so I threw together a visor with paper, electrical tape, and black felt that I was able to find in my travels. The visor suited its purpose but was kinda flopsy, wasn't readily removable/reusable, and frankly looked pretty cobby, so I abandoned it after the trip.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Today I put together a version with sheet aluminum, aluminum tape (for hinges), black duct tape (for hinges and nonreflectivity), and of course Velcro.

The top part of the visor folds downward, the side flaps inward. Two beads of hot glue on each side form channels intended to hold the lower flaps in place, though that system has yet to be road-tested. Two narrow arms (not visible) on the back of the visor attach it to the GPS with regular Velcro.

Update: The hot-glue channels didn't hold the sides so I drilled holes in the lower corners and attached pieces of Velcro with short lengths of nylon string. The Velcro tabs attach to the back of the unit.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory textExternal inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

This version is rigid, somewhat less cobby looking, and folds up well enough that the unit still fits in its little carry case.

The lanyard (a previous mod) is secured to the GPS with Dual Lock fastener (super Velcro); the clip attaches to an eye bolt on the dash. That lanyard saved the GPS when my Givi windshield suddenly broke on the interstate, knocking the Garmin off its bracket.
⚠️ Last edited by ramblerdan on UTC; edited 11 times
@cubsking99 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Yamaha Vino 125

Ossessionato
@cubsking99 avatar
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
UTC quote
Very practical. And of course I always think a mod with duct tape is a great idea

Mark
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX

Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
UTC quote
My mod item of choice is velcro.
@noschmo avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
@noschmo avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
great farkle!
@cagedodger avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
NC700XD

Molto Verboso
@cagedodger avatar
NC700XD
UTC quote
I like the plexi barrier, but you might want to put some door edging around it to keep it from scratching up the plastic that it rests against.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
~.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0518s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0260s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]